I am not an agent or affiliated with this entity. The information below is independent and based on my research and experience. While I have taken steps to ensure the accuracy of the information presented here, I cannot guarantee that it will remain correct.
Target customer of the fund: “Late start-ups” or “early-to-mid-stage” companies.
Industry focus: Small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in various industries with a focus on IT/telecom, healthcare and consumer goods.
Amounts provided: 250,000 euros to 3 million euros.
Type of financing: venture capital (i.e. instead of making a loan, the fund takes a 1% stake in the target company)
- potential to be a top player in its field;
- Profitable in a large/growing market over 5-7 years (exit period for funds);
- Competent and committed entrepreneurs backed by strong management;
- comply with ethical standards, have a good environmental policy and good working conditions;
- Allows a seat on the board of the fund as well as their participation in the administration.
Find fund information online or call Tel: +254 (0)20 2019374
Who is behind the fund?
Private investors and development finance institutions based mainly in Europe. The fund is managed by TBL Invest LTD, based in Nairobi with a representative in Uganda.
What is the application process like?
1. Submit business plan.Make sure it meets your key criteria;
2. Introductory event(s). If the fund likes the plan, the investor meets the fund team;
3. Term sheet. A document containing the basic terms and conditions; and
4. Duty of Care.This means that the fund “verifies” the information contained in the plan.
What are my views/tips for successful access to capital?
1st team:Venture capital funds like TBL support “late start-ups” with track records. Your key indicator is a good team with solid experience. If you don’t have internal capacities, get a professional.
2. Disruptive strategy. They are looking for a company that can quickly become number 1 or 2 in their respective field. It means having a strategy to take on existing market leaders head-on. The plan must clearly show how this is to be achieved.
3. Ethical model. Some of the fund’s key supporters are based in the Netherlands, and this is the rule. Your plan should reflect these principles.
While I share the above tips, you should be aware that some basic key information applies to all job applications. This includes aspects such as the plan including a summary that does not contain errors, is in an easy-to-read format, and the like.
Otherwise good luck.